Wednesday, March 14, 2012

There are several things we've been told repeatedly by other sailors but it took until yesterday to fully appreciate what they meant.  Yesterday's passage taught us:

1.  Why sailing is called a sport
2.  Why people keep telling us to do it while we are young
3.  Why relationships often end at sea

It's called a sport because while struggling to maintain your balance at all times, you are often left huffing and puffing cranking a winch handle to pull up/ or in a sail.

A lot of older people we've met remarked that it was great to see us here doing this while we're young.  It's nice to hear, but their actual meaning was somewhat lost on me.  Until I awoke this morning to the sensation that I had been hit by a truck.  Every muscle in my body is sore and I have multiple bruises from being tossed around inside the cabin and on the deck.  (Matt has more bruises and a bloody toe :-)

And regarding the relationships....let's just say that there were some pretty tense moments where we weren't exactly cordial to one another.  It's a good thing Matt's cute.

But alas, we are now in the Abacos and I'm hoping that was the last major passage on our trip.  To be honest, I thought that once we were in the Bahamas, the hard part was over.  I guess it pays to do your research.

Ahhh, the sea.  She seems so sweet, but she can really beat the crap out of you.


PS.  We are 20 minutes from Freeport, a Westjet destination.  Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment